Society & Culture

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Can Ex-Military Infantry Join The Peace Corps?

Hello,


I am a recently separated Marine 0311 with 2 combat deployments, and currently in college pursuing a degree in Sociology. I have plans of joining the Peace Corps after I complete my undergrad, and have heard some rumors that Ex-Military have a hard time getting accepted, and that it would be nearly impossible for an Ex-infantryman to be accepted at that. The reason given was something along the lines of scaring the local populace that the US was sending in clandestine forerunners to set up an invasion. Now the source for this rumor was not in the Peace Corps, so I am skeptical as to the validity of this statement, and was hoping someone could help clear that up for me. As a side note, to avoid any flame wars, I am extremely proud, and not at all ashamed of my military service, I do believe I helped people through my actions in the Marines, I absolutely believe in the strong protecting the weak(sometimes that means forcibly removing fascists like the Taliban, or Sadden) and do not believe I was part of "evil wars", SO PLEASE DO NOT POST ANTI-MILITARY, ANTI-BUSH, ANTI-IRAQ, OR ANTI-AFGHANISTAN ANSWERS, I do not wish to hear them. My reasons for wanting to join the Peace Corps are, 1. I would like to continue helping people in the 3rd world, just in a different capacity then war, and 2. I have future aspirations of working in policy and advocacy for a humanitarian non-profit, and 3. Apparently the Peace Corps has a scholarship for grad school, which would compliment my GI Bill for undergrad. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.



I did.




Hey! And thank you for your service!





You are more than welcome in the Peace Corps. I myself am gay and a republican (oh my!) and I have been welcomed with open arms into the Peace Corps. Also, several of the people I will be going to Kazakhstan with are ex-military.





The Peace Corps does not discriminate based upon political affiliation, sexual orientation, race, gender or creed. Though in your service, you may be required to bite your tongue (PCVs are not allowed to participate in political agendas of any kind in their service), you can maintain your identity and belief systems while serving. Just remember, the soap box isn't allowed.





Good luck to you!





-L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Society & Culture