Society & Culture

Thursday, April 9, 2009

I want to spend a month doing intensive community service this summer.?

I'm a high school junior, and I want to go into social work when I get older, and I really want to help out people. I've been searching for quite some time for some service learning or service programs that run in june, but I'm finding a lot of overpriced 'adventure' camps and whatnot. I want a legit program where I can focus on doing something meaningful, such as something in the middle east or Dubai, or planning community events for the environment, or helping curtail hunger, or spreading education.


What should I do? What program is there that I could attend and do actually meaningful intensive work for a month?


Thanks.



How about some meaningful work close to home? There are many senior centers and nursing homes and VA hospitals that would love to have you volunteer. Charity begins at home, my young friend.




Seeing as how you are going to school to be a social worker I would start by calling social services to get in contact with someone who could help set you up. When my daughter was in college she did that and they set her up with boys/girls club where she put in some time for credits. I would look into any of your community programs and get your name out there now for June.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Society & Culture