Society & Culture

Thursday, April 9, 2009

UK: How can I start a community club for under-privileged youth in my city?

I have recently moved from the country to a big city here in the UK. I have been struck by the sheer number of people my own age (23) and younger who cause trouble and generally got off to a bad start in life, particularly in the poorer areas.





I know there are already a couple of clubs operating locally, but surely it's a case of 'the more the merrier' in this sort of scenario.





What would be involved in starting up such a club- and would my own young age and lack of business or care experience be a problem? There a few large buildings that are waiting to be sold I've been keeping an eye on, right in the heart of the neighbourhoods I'd like to help with.





I've spoken to some shop owners and workmen and they said they'd be more than willing to donate their time, tools and goods if it got off the ground. I've already had some offers of furniture, books and even pool tables!





I'd like the place to have a small library where perhaps the guys could learn the basics for an education and possible career options. We could have people in to talk about their jobs, along with the police, and maybe even liase with conservation trusts for trips abroad to help wildlife. And I'm sure a programme to clean up the streets would be gratefully received.





So could I get this off the ground? If so, how do I start?





Thanks!



Have a word with the local councillors and put your outline plans to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Society & Culture